Immigrate to Russia from US
Immigrate to Russia from USUpdated on Tuesday 06th October 2020
Rate this article
based on 4 reviews
based on 4 reviews
Foreign citizens who want to immigrate to Russia must comply with various requirements, as the Russian legislation implies several regulations to comply with starting with the visa documentation that needs to be prepared and the processing steps. These regulations also apply to American citizens who want to move to Russia.
Those planning to immigrate to Russia from US must comply with the same requirements as any other foreign citizen seeking to move to this country. If you need information on how to move to this country, our lawyers in Russia are at your service for assistance in various matters.
The main regulations to respect when immigrating to Russia from the US
American citizens who want to immigrate to Russia for short or long periods of time will need to comply with the same regulations as any other foreign citizen. Among these, the most important ones refer to:
- making sure they have valid passports in order to obtain the visa;
- to prepare all documents indicating the reason of their stay;
- to have a Russian sponsor (this requirement also applies to those who travel to Russia for tourism purposes);
- to apply for the right type of visa in accordance with the reason for immigration.
There are 7 types of visas available for those who want to immigrate to Russia from the US and other countries.
Our immigration lawyers in Russia are at your service with complete information about the regulations to comply with when applying for a visa.
Types of visas for American citizens immigrating to Russia
As written above, there are 7 types of visas one can obtain when immigrating to Russia from US. These are:
- the tourist visa which is the simplest and easiest to apply for;
- the student visa which can be obtained by foreign students based on an acceptance letter from a Russian educational facility;
- the commercial visa which is available for those coming here on business;
- the guest visa which can be obtained by those coming to visit family members;
- the diplomatic visa which is available for governmental officials;
- the transit visa which is required for those who must pass through a Russian airport on their way to another country;
- the work visa which is issued based on a specific quota imposed every year.
Not all visas mentioned above can lead to temporary or permanent residence permits in Russia, however, there are various criteria to meet in order to obtain Russian residency as an American citizen.
Those who want to immigrate to Russia from US can rely on our law firm for guidance in applying for various types of visas.
How to apply for temporary and permanent residence in Russia
American citizens who want to immigrate to Russia must comply with several requirements in order to obtain residency here. When it comes to temporary residence permits, one should know that each Russian region imposes its own quotas on the number of foreign citizens who can move here. The only exceptions from these rules are foreign citizens married to Russian nationals and investors coming to open companies in Russia.
Among the documents that need to be filed in order to obtain a Russian temporary residence permit as an American citizen are:
- the valid passport;
- the application form and 4 photographs;
- a police certificate proving the good standing of the applicant;
- an HIV negative test;
- a medical certificate.
Permanent residency can be obtained after 5 years of living in Russia. Our Russian law firm can offer more information on the documents that need to be prepared when immigrating here from the USA.
All documents must be filed with the Russian Federal Migration Service (FMS).
Sponsorship when immigrating to Russia from US
As mentioned above, those who want to immigrate to Russia from US must have a local sponsor. In the case of tourist, the Russian travel agency can vouch for the applicant, however, in the case of other categories of applicants, Russian relatives, companies or even employers can act as sponsors depending on the type of visa sought.
Our immigration lawyers in Russia can offer additional information on the sponsorship requirements applied to American citizens seeking to move here.
Validity of visas for those seeking to immigrate to Russia from US
When it comes to the validity of each type of visa, here are the main aspects to consider:
- a student visa is valid for 3 months and can be renewed;
- temporary residency is usually granted for 3 years;
- Russian permanent residence can be obtained after 5 years;
- it can take up to 20 days for a visa application to be processed by the FMS.
For detailed information on how to immigrate to Russia from US, please contact our lawyers.