Russia's immigration policy
is one of the world’s most liberal policies. This country gives its citizenship to the individuals who live in Russia for five years and pass the Russian language exam under the current law
. Russia immigration policy
makes it clear that immigration is a positive phenomenon and it is necessary for the development of the country. This policy also aims at inhabiting areas of Russia with low number of populations.
If you have questions related to immigration to Russia
you can get in touch with our local lawyers. This policy is effective from 2019 to 2025. The lawyers at our law firm in Russia
will guide you about how you can get benefit from this policy and immigrate to Russia.
| Quick Facts || |
| Entry visa requirement || |
Types of visas available
Time frame for obtaining work visa (approx.)
| Around 20 days |
| Validity of temporary residence permit || |
| Temporary residence permit renewal requirements || |
- knowledge of Russian language,
- valid passport,
- proof of address
| Documents for obtaining a residence permit || |
- clear criminal record,
- valid passport,
- proof of domicile,
- negative HIV test
| Time frame for obtaining permanent residence (approx.) || |
Around 6 months
| Investor Visa availability (YES/NO) || |
| Start-up Visa Scheme availability || Russian work visa |
| Sponsorship requirement (YES/NO) || Yes |
| Time frame for obtaining citizenship || After living 5 years in Russia |
| Citizenship/Residency by investment scheme availability (YES/NO) || Yes |
| Taxation of foreign citizens || Between 13% and 30% income tax rate, depending on the source of income |
| Tax benefits for expats || |
They can claim foreign tax credit
Visas offered by the Russian government
In the Russian Federation, a visa
is a document that allows an individual to stay and work in this country for a specific period. A visa bears your entry/exit dates, name, passport details and purpose of travel etc. If you want to immigrate to Russia
, please find below the types of visas that the local government offers. Our lawyers will guide you to the appropriate visa types depending upon your purpose of entering the country, if you want to move to Russia
- Tourist visa: it is a single-entry visa, valid for 30 days;
- Business visa: it is also a single-entry visa, valid up to three months;
- Private visa: if you are ready to migrate to Russia for higher studies, then this visa is for you. It is based on a private invitation from friends or relatives in Russia, and it is valid for up to three months;
- Student visa: this kind of visa is based on a student invitation from a college or university in Russia, valid up to three months;
- Work visa: if you want to immigrate to Russia for work, then please keep in mind this visa is based on a work invitation from a Russian company and is valid for up to three months.
If you are planning to migrate to Russia, you can rely on the legal services of our law firm. You can also get information about transit and humanitarian visas from our immigration lawyers in Russia. Talk to us for more details about how to move to Russia.
What do you need to know about a Russian visa?
Getting a Russian visa is a complicated procedure, so legal assistance throughout the process is recommended. It will save your precious time and prevent you from doing any mistakes. If you are planning to immigrate to Russia
, you can trust the legal services of our law firm. Our lawyers in Russia
will guide you in the visa procedure thoroughly. We present you the main details you need to know before you emigrate to Russia.
What is an invitation letter?
Most first-time travelers have the misconception that everyone needs an invitation letter or a visa support letter bearing the information about the applicant’s every step. While actually, the purpose of the invitation letter is to show the Russian government your plans, whether they include leisure or a business trip and where you intend to go in Russia.
Business travelers may apply for an invitation letter that must specify a single, double or multiple entry visa allowing them to conduct conferences, research, meetings or other things related to their business in Russia or in abroad. This visa may take time to be processed between three to 18 business days for up to $300. You can get your invitation letter for the tourist visa in one to 24 hours for $300. More about immigration to Russia can be discussed with our advisors.
Necessary documents for visa
You must gather all your documents very wisely to avoid rejection at the Russian embassy. Here is the general idea of the kind of documents you will need to submit when you plan to relocate to Russia, please note that the requirements for the visa procedure may vary from embassy to embassy:
- Passport valid for at least six months;
- Passport must have two blank pages for the visa and migration card;
- Two passport-sized photos, taken recently;
- Official Russian visa application form;
- Proof of employment if you plan to relocate to Russia for work;
- If you plan to stay longer in Russia, then bring travel insurance;
- Medical certificates of not having HIV if you emigrate to Russia on a business visa.
Once you get all the required documents, you are ready to apply for a Russian visa. You can get legal help from our Russian lawyers. Being experienced immigration lawyers in Russia, they know how to carry out these tasks swiftly.
Russian visas for family members
In 2020, the Russian authorities announced the introduction of what is called "Private visa". Thus, citizens who have relatives in Russia and who want to relocate to this country can do so by applying for this type of visa. In the following lines, we will list some of the formalities to take into account when applying:
- The Russian family member must prepare a written form (made at the consulate or diplomatic mission) in which to mention the degree of kinship as well as the fact that they want to act as a sponsor.
- A valid passport will be required, as well as information about personal income and reasons for staying in Russia.
- Also, travel insurance is needed to cover the entire stay in this country.
We mention that the Family visa
, respectively the Private visa
has a validity of one year and can be obtained by children, parents, grandparents and other relatives of the Russian citizen. And in order to eliminate the complexities of obtaining this visa from the start, we strongly recommend that you contact our specialists. Our lawyers in Russia
can provide you with the necessary legal support regarding the necessary paperwork, as well as the translation of documents, where appropriate.
How can I apply for a student visa in Russia from the UK?
Foreign citizens who want to apply for a student visa in Russia must consider the formalities involved in this process. It all starts with the unconditional agreement offered by a university in Russia. This will be sponsorship for the student applicant. The formalities must then continue at the visa application center in the country of origin, in this case the UK.
We mention that it is important to apply for a student visa for Russia in time, to ensure that it will be issued before the start of the courses and the relocation to Russia. In this case too, we recommend that you talk to our lawyers in Russia and discover the legal services offered in this endeavor. You will be assured of a simple and fast process, without complicated formalities and without the risk that the respective application will be rejected.
Russian work visas
If you have accepted a job in Russia as a foreign citizen, you need to apply for a work visa. Even if the application itself starts at the visa immigration center, we recommend that you contact our Russian lawyers because they have experience in this field and can guide you regarding the formalities you have to comply with. Among them we mention:
- The visa application form issued by the Russian authorities is required. This will contain personal information, as well as details about the employer in Russia.
- The passport must be valid for at least 6 months and have two blank pages.
- You will need one passport-size photo.
- You must also present the employment letter from the company that hires you in Russia.
- The employment contract will also be required, and it must include financial information.
- You will need a medical certificate attesting that you are healthy.
- The application fee must be paid and proof of this payment will be made in the application file.
Biometric information may be requested by the authorities when you apply for a work visa in Russia. We also mention that this type of visa can be issued in approximately 20 days, if all the formalities are respected. You still have the obligation to register with the local authorities after arriving in Russia.
Russia immigration statistics
- In the year 2000, there were 11,900,297.00 immigrants in Russia, a 0.24% decline from 1995;
- In 2005, Russia had an immigration statistic of 11,667,588.00, a 1.96% decline from 2000;
- In 2010, Russia accommodated 11,194,710.00 immigrants, a 4.05% decline from 2005;
- In 2015, this country welcomed 11,643,276.00 immigrants, a 4.01% increase from 2010.
- At the moment, the net migration rate for Russia in 2022 is 0.748 per 1000 people.
If you want to know about Russia immigration policy
, you can contact
our lawyers for details about their services and fees. They will also help you to immigrate to Russia